Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Nostalgy #2 : My English teacher says "YES"

Today, I bumped into my english teacher (when I was a sweet young  thing of 17!) at a local restaurant. It was really an honor when your teacher could still remember and recognise you after decades have passed on. Or could it be that I was without any make up (really...not even a lipstick) and was dining eau-naturel?

Ms. Satrina (formerly Miss Satwinder Kaur) was my favorite teacher and it was great to have bumped into her. And we were laughing our heads off recalling all the antics that happened in the class decades ago. She was an icon as she was young, pretty, fashionable and fun to have in the classroom. So much so that I had to confess to her that I purposely 'flunked' the 'class selection test' just so I could be in her class. It was worth it and I would do it again, if necessary ha ha. But...can you cheat for a second time? Why not...human has short memory,right? Beside...the other teacher liked to practice her high-pitched voice to see if she could break the window panes with her 'screeching'! Ah..ahh...not for me. Plus..."To be or not to be" (by Shakespeare) never excite me. I'm more of a  "Mills & Boons" and "Sydney Sheldon"..wink, wink! Well, I guess it turned out fine..I still got distinction for english, Yippee !! Though I still could not understand what "To be or Not to Be" is all about ??



Sorry for the quality of the photo..shot from my son's mobile phone. and he's probably nervous when he found out that both were my teachers....wow..double trouble! She coolly walked to me and asked if I were the lady who lives in Istanbul! For a moment there, I thought I was famous ha ha...turned out..she had read my Blog. Phew..I hope she didn't find too many mistakes...
Cikgu Shariff (her hubby) was our teacher. One day, he took some students to our National Park (Taman Negara) in Pahang and he never returned. I mean, to teaching.  He loved it there so much that he resigned immediately and got a job in the Park ! He remains active with the wildlife world till today and is now in the midst of setting up a zoo in one of the states. Bravo teacher....somebody has to protect our animals !!!

Seems that she has read my Blog and she said its "Okay". YES....if the English teacher said YES to your 'piece'...... then, I guess it is really okay. Phew.......i must remember to cross and dot all my t's and i's now...or even use the 'spell check' more often !!! Psst......do I need to behave myself now??? I was told that she left our school after teaching us for two years. Err...teacher...did we 'demoralise' you in any way? I mean, I know that we were 'naughty' but...... !!!

To Ms. Satrina and husband, Cikgu Shariff. (Singh!).....you helped to mold us to what or who we are today. We remain indebted to you for the rest of our lives and we hope that someday, we too could touch someone's life like you did. Thank you......from the bottom of our very hearts !!!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday! was it?

Anie said...

Thank you. It's today, August the 3rd.

Satrina said...

Happy Birthday!I hope our meeting was a good gift :)

Anie said...

YES teacher, it was the best b'day gift ever! thank you. a lot of students have asked for your contact, can I publicise it?

Satrina said...

yes u may:)

Anie said...

Ms Satrina can be contacted at 012 323 0477

Anonymous said...

Zu, should have call me when you meet-up with Ms.Sat. I am still far away from work, plenty of time to spare....

Well Cikgu, next time in Klang Valley do let us know. A few of us may be able to have tea/coffee (after fasting month/during the break of fast) with you & Cikgu Sharif .

Satrina said...

will do Capt Azhar

Anie said...

Azhar, the mttg was impromptu..so it slips my mind to call someone.besides..its Iftar time and we don't want to disturb people during their moment of celebration...well now,you can invite cikgu for Hari Raya. have fun....

Anie said...

kak shahid,
yes..come to istanbul and after that we go to London to 'camp-out' outside Harrods on Boxing day!Please bring some rempeyek and we can munch while we camp..he he...just like old days..

Chris Wong said...

I was in Taman Negara sometime in the late 90s when I watch a video of this man leading a group to save or relocate (I later found out) an elephant. Guess who the man was?

Chris Wong said...

The moral of the story is, never leave home without makeup, you'll never know who you'll meet.

Anie said...

ha ha,you're right Chris, happened all the time.but my point is,without the make-up,i'd look exactly as i was in school!actually,i just got back from my prayers when we met,that explains the scruffy look he he...

Anie said...

chris, you still have the video of the man (??) with the elephant? would be good to share it here..